[CentOS] Firewall frustration

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 31 17:26:05 UTC 2007

Dennis McLeod wrote:
> [...]
For all that it does, you would need it on a pretty hefty box of 10M.
But then I have seen LAN-LAN > 10M working here....
> I liked the integration of services in the box, and I likely would have kept
> it for that one item.
> I'll be looking at an IPCOP/Smoothwall/Monowall replacement.
> I have an IPCOP box at work for our public access DSL connection. (Customers
> kept surfing p*rn in the waiting area. Squidguard on IPcop fixed that..)
> Uptime on that box (Compaq P2-733) is around 250 days right now. I had to
> move the box, so it would be more like 400....
I run Astaro on a Compaq SFF 1Ghz with 512Mb memory. It has a 4-port
10/100 card as well as the internal ethernet. I use VLANing extensively,
as I have ~12 LANs connected to the box. I have the public net on one
port, then all the others are plugged into a HP 2650 48-port switch. I
can move systems to the subnet I need for whatever testing or production
I use. I ONLY use the firewall for packet filtering. No SPAM control,
web proxying, etc....