[CentOS] Announcing the CentOS on Laptops initiative

Mon Dec 3 16:32:23 UTC 2007
Alfredo Perez <alfredoj69 at rogers.com>

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 07:02:40PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Johnny Tan wrote:
>
> > Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
> > > I'm actually using CentOS on 2 laptops, and I have really few issues:
> > > on the newer one (a Lenovo) the only thing that doesn't work is sound (I
> > > know the newer alsa drivers would work, but I'm too lazy to install them:
> > > I'll wait for the updates) but it isn't a big deal: I'm using it for work,
> > > and I don't need sound
> >
> > I have CentOS-5 on a Thinkpad X61s and also only have sound as my major issue.
> > Otherwise, it's great and I see no reason to run Fedora/Ubuntu.
> >
> > Anyway, I'll throw up my experiences on the wiki soon, though it's been a few
> > months, so my memory's patchy.
> >
> > Dag, is this the correct page?
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/
>
> It is. I forgot to send a link with the announcement :|
>

> > And are we supposed to do it on our own page and then link to it? Seems like
> > the existing ones are like that.
>
> No, I googled for specific keywords to find existing pages. These links
> eventually belong in their own Laptop-model pages.
>

> > Or, if we create a page on there, should multiple entries of the same laptop
> > model go on the same line somehow?
>
> What I prefer is to have one single page per Laptop model. And a different
> section for each CentOS version (starting with the latest, CentOS-5
> first).
>
> If people have their own blog articles or webpages about their laptop
> model, I would like to have this information reside inside of that page
> (now they are on the index page temporarily).
>
> Sadly, for now, you have to request access to be allowed to create or edit
> these pages. I hope in the future we will have a more liberal view wrt.
> the wiki.
>
> PS I created this structure for your X60 for now, I plan to add my own
> laptops soon (but it does not include a X60). If you can add your
> information to this existing page, I am sure this is very valuable for
> another X60 owner.

Last weekend I tried to install Centos 5.0 into my old Toshiba 4200.
No luck. The installation process stop in different places.

Any recommendations?

I tried Startcom which is also redhat based and the installation
process ended successfully.

I will keep trying to see if I can get my laptop to run Centos.
I will also share my findings when trying to get my laptop to connect
to the internet using bcm43xx using fwcutter, if that is ok you guys?

Alfredo
The Sauce