[CentOS] Strange GUI/GNOME Lockups

Sat Dec 8 06:32:49 UTC 2007
Jayson Rowe <jayson.rowe at gmail.com>

First, a hello to all!

I recently moved to CentOS from Fedora on my primary desktop due to a
desire to have a highly reliable stable desktop that would be supported
long term without constant upgrades. I'll keep my laptop Fedora to see
what's new, but I wanted CentOS to be my ultimate "stable" workstation.

However, since installing CentOS 5.1 I have been plagued by a strange
problem I haven't seen in ANY other distro I've ran on this PC, including
a RHEL 5 30 Day Demo that prompted me to install CentOS in the first
place.

My GUI (GNOME desktop BTW) will randomly have strange little lockups or
freezes where I can't interact with any windows or use any menus or
applets. SOMETIMES I can ctrl+alt+arrow to another workspace to free it
up, but just now I had to ctrl+alt+backspace to free it up. There is
nothing strange in /var/log or the system logs. It just simply freezes.

I'm hoping that someone would have some kind of suggestion, or even where
to start looking for a solution, as I REALLY want CentOS to be my FT OS on
this machine.

Thanks in advance for any help.