[CentOS] How to generate UUID for Xen?

Tue Dec 18 14:56:48 UTC 2007
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

The new virtual machine manager in Centos 5.1 displays some weird behavior
here and I assume it's because the UUID of one running VM is the same as
of a VM that is shut down. I used the same config file template for
creating all my test VMs, so several have the same UUID. Didn't produce
any problems with xm. But the new VM manager in Gnome shows active and
inactive VMs and identifies them by UUID, which results in it trying to
mix the status etc. of the active and of the inactive VM.
How can I generate a new UUID? I assume there's some checksum in it, so
that I can't just make one up?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany