[CentOS] Obtuse-smtpd and Postfix

Sun Dec 2 03:53:42 UTC 2007
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007, Manuel Leon wrote:

>   Hi all....
>

>   I would like to switch to CENTOS Postfix from sendmail. My current
>   sendmail, in combination with
>
>   the very old obtuse-smtpd, allows me:
>
>   1.       To control who of the internal users can     send mail and
>       to which domain or accounts

You could control access by requiring them to send via the submission port
(587) with smtp-auth either using sasl or dovcot and postfix.

>   2.       To control who of the internal users can receive mail and
>   from which domain or accounts

I think would require some work using Chip Salzenberg's deliver program,
procmail, or some such MDA (Mail Delivery Agent) behind postfix.  Off hand
I can't think of how one would do this directly with postfix.

>   3.       To obtain a copy of all         sent mails
>
>   4.       To obtain a copy of all received mails

These two could be handled using always_bcc in postfix's main.cf.

>   Obtuse-smtpd is very easy to configure and very effective. It takes
>   control of all smtp activities over Port
>
>   25 and, after filtering and checking, passes the safe mails to
>   sendmail for final delivery. Obtuse can, also,
>
>   check for addressability, through DNS, of the mail sender and other
>   useful features.

Postfix gives lots of options for incoming filtering using DNS, amavisd and
clamav etc.  There's extensive documentation on the postfix web site,
http://www.postfix.org/

Bill

People from East Germany have found the West so confusing. It's so much
easier when you have only one party. -- Linus Torvalde, Linux Expo Canada
when asked about confusion over many Linux distributions.