[CentOS] Replacement for Linux-HA (heartbeat) - RedHat cluster?

Sun Dec 2 16:06:46 UTC 2007
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

Amos Shapira wrote:

> On 02/12/2007, Dave Augustus <davea at ingraftedsoftware.com> wrote:
> > We are in the middle of migrating to a new colo and I first
> heard about
> > Cluster Suite with the release of 5.
> >
> > Our old colo used 2 different 2-node clusters using
> hearbeat version 1. We had
> > a 2-node cluster in Active/passive for the LVS director and
> 4 nodes as real
> > servers. Our other 2-node cluster was file servers.
> >
> > I saw the Redhat Cluster Suite (RCS) and spent 2 weeks
> trying to implement it-
> > without success. I ran into bugs and couldn't get it to work right.
>
> Thanks. That's helpful to know.
>

> > (Parenthecally let me say this: VERSION 2 ROCKS! With
> version 1, you are
> > limited to 2 nodes. With 2, as many as you want.)
>
> Yes I know that heartbeat 2.x should rock - when it runs. But having
> multiple core dumps on my filesystem doesn't exactly increase my
> confidence in it.
>

> > So I went back to heartbeat and learned version 2. Now, we
> have a 6-node
> > cluster where ANY NODE can be a REAL SERVER OR a LVS
> DIRECTOR. It was really
>
> That's my plan - to put both director and "real servers" on the same
> two nodes. As far as I'm aware it's possible also with version 1.
>
> > cool when I learned how to do it. I spent 2 more weeks
> learning it BUT I have
> > a solution that works and has been stable since inception.
> Note that we left
> > the file servers in their own 2 node cluster.
>
> Which platform is it? Is it CentOS 5 x86_64 on an Intel Xeon?
>
> I suspect that maybe my problems are connected with this particular
> architecture.
>
> And possibly a general CentOS question - Is it practical to just
> install i386 packages of heartbeat on an x86_64 system?

Your running this under a Xen domU right?

You could try the i386 versions to see, but I wouldn't be surprised
if you end up with the same results.

Instead of a domU why not try running it out of an HVM which performs
greater level of abstraction. IF heartbeat is trying to use the low
level features of the network interface then that may be the reason
it is segfaulting in the para-virtualized machine.