[CentOS] Scary memory requirements for 5.1 graphic install

Tue Dec 4 00:50:17 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> It is listed as a known issue, but I have a lot of 256Mb systems where I
>> have used the graphic installer....
>>
>> OUCH!
>>
>> And when this is fixed (I really hope), it will mean some new ISOs to
>> download?
>>

> It is not broken ... you really need 512mb RAM to use the installer in
> GUI mode reliably. And it purposely will not even start with < 256 MB.

I know about the < 256Mb.  I hit that on my notebook that has shared
memory for the video.
> This is primarily due the fact that the DEPS are solved a different way
> that requires more memory now.

It seems more important to have a local repo, and to do a minimum install.

Oh, will yum now encounter the same memory hit.  That is if I install
yumex on a 256mb system after a minimum install, and run yumex in gnome
to select my packages...

Or even the 'standard' add/remove program on the gnome menu.
> Text installs are not that bad ...

yeah, I have actually done them and gotten the hang of it.  Do the
minimum install in text mode, the boot in gnome....
> That is just the way it is, but it is only getting worse in the future,
> not better (memory reqts that is).
Yeah, I have been losing memory for some time now.  :)

It will be a sad day when we cannot install on a 256mb system.

I have also had success putting a drive in one system for the install,
moving the drive into the target system, and only having to
system-config-display.