[CentOS] backup / compressed copy

Tue Dec 4 13:45:44 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Andreas Kuntzagk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think about buying a NAS-server from Sun. To backup this server I want
> to use our central to-tape backup. For whatever reason ppl are asking me
> to make one compressed copy to disk and only backup this copy.
>
> So to reduce load I'd like to have a script that:
>
> identifies changed files only (using md5?)
> copies them
> and compresses them
>
> storeBackup.pl does something similar, but keeps versions and creates
> hardlinks between them. (Is storeBackup in any CentOS repo? I know it
> from my SuSE box)
> Any ideas? Do I have to change storeBackup to my needs? (Would really
> hate that, because I'm not a Perl man)

Backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/) will backup a number of
hosts, compressing all files and hardlinking all duplicates (whether
from different hosts or different backup runs) to reduce the storage
needed and permit keeping a longer history on line.  It also provides a
nice web interface for browsing, restoring, and archiving to tape. The
tape archive part is manual and kind of an afterthought but the rest is
completely automatic and some users have devised ways to use external
disks for the archive or do partition level copies to an external disk
for offsite storage.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com