[CentOS] Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Sun Dec 9 01:15:07 UTC 2007
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Friday 07 December 2007, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> I'd be happy to host the rest of this conversation in
> centos-devel at centos.org  - which might actually have more people
> watching who play a role in these situations ?

There is one point that belongs in the user CentOS list (and not on
centos-devel) that is relevant to this discussion.  And, Johnny, I know it
isn't a CentOS issue; it is a CentOS user's issue, however, and this is the
only post on this subject I plan to make.

If a CentOS user wants KDE-Redhat on CentOS, then that user will be using EPEL
(KDE-Redhat now requires it).

The incompatibility between EPEL and, say, DAG, means you no longer can mix
KDE-Redhat and DAG (which I have done on a few C4 boxes a while back).  At
some point, due to the EPEL requirement, yum update will quit working.  If
you happen to have used a DAG package that is incompatible at a low level
with EPEL's package of the same program, you have work to do.

Noting repository incompatibilities is a user issue; arguing/debating the
merits of the repos and trying to collaborate is, as you have correctly
noted, a developer issue.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer