[CentOS] "yum --security" and staying with 5.0

Wed Dec 12 15:24:21 UTC 2007
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:03:10 +0000:

As you see from quite a few inquiries over the last days that parapgraph is
*easily* misread. Don't take it personal ;-)
Apart from those questions from people who didn't read it at all there a
several questions about the content that all go in the same direction or
simply don't understand it.

> you can still read the version from before my change - and even there it
> clearly states that you need to change yum configs etc to make changes
> to the repos your system sees.

No, it says "manually telling yum to do so" which could just mean "edit
that release file!" in this context. Beat me and others, but that's what we
read in it.

There is no mention or indication to
> anything requiring a change in the redhat-release file.

I just re-read the paragraph again carefully and I think it is the first
sentence that creates the confusion. It says "for a period of time next to
the latest version of the 5 series" one can wonder about a minute what this
really means) and then at the end it says "and you will not move to a newer
release without ...". This *seems* to indicate that if the release file
contains "5.1" yum is going to provide updates for 5.1 and stop with
updating when 5.2 comes out. And you would either have to set it to 5.2 or
5 to continue with updating. Especially that "newer release" seems to
indicatethis.
As I read it now what actually is going to happen is that upstream
*branches* beginning with 5.1 to 5.1.1, 5.1.2 etc. and they will keep
providing updates for 5.1.1, 5.1.2 and the "main" 5 stream until the main
stream support cycle ends. But this won't be determined of the release
file, it's only an indicator.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany