[CentOS] "yum --security" and staying with 5.0

Wed Dec 12 16:01:02 UTC 2007
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:41:49 +0000:

> thats mostly correct, except for the fact that there will be only 3
> releases in any branch, so while /5/ will continue to be supported for
> the 7 years + that a EL version is, the 5.1 will only exist for 18
> months,

Yes, that is clear. But now I'm still not sure about the "point releases"
(minor version no.s) and their life cycle.
There will be 5.1.1, 5.1.2 and 5.1.3. no more?
How long will their support cycle be? As long as 5? As long as 5.1?

> "for a period of time next to the latest version of the 5 series"

I think I misunderstand this again (in my last reply). The "latest version
of the 5 series" would be (for me) the latest version of the 5 series that
ever comes out. So, basically, it means the end of the life cyle of 5 (7+
years). That's obviously not what it means. We should rather read it as
"the latest version at this point in time" which would be "the current
version at that time"? So, 5.1.1 branch will be supported as long as 5.1
is supported, then both go to 5.2?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany