[CentOS] vsifax on Centos 5.1

Wed Dec 12 20:58:15 UTC 2007
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 22:25 -0800, Bill Campbell wrote:

>> >Thanks for the suggestion.  I probably should have posted the deails.
>> >I was actually hoping that the protections was the issue but looks to me
>> >that it is not
>>
>> Have you looked at HylaFax, an open source fax system for *nix
>> systems that has been around for many years (it started life as
>> flexfax, but had to change the name since somebody else had it).
>> We have been using HylaFax on various Linux systems for well over
>> a decade with excellent results (and we hosted their mailing list
>> for several years before they registered hylafax.org).
>>
>> 	http://www.hylafax.org/
>>
>> Another commercial package for *nix systems is Faximum.  This too
>> has been around since the early '90s.
>
>Bill,
>
>Thanks for taking the time to suggest hylafax.    We need to be able to
>convert *.pcl files to tiff files either at the time of faxing or the
>fax module needs to do this for us.  Does hylafax have the capability to
>convert pcl to tif?  vsifax has done what we needed, but to my surprise
>the more I talk with them the more I get the impression they are not
>actively wanting to support it for Unix/Linux systems.

Personally I haven't had any need for PCL->FAX translation, but somebody
else suggested ImageMagick which has lots of conversion options as does
ghostscript.

I often send faxes from HylaFAX with PDF documents.  It handles PostScript,
plain-text, and a variety of image formats as well.

Bill

Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
Those who count the vote decide everything. (Joseph Stalin)