[CentOS] 5.0->5.1 upgrade problems

Wed Dec 19 10:49:13 UTC 2007
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Andreas Kuntzagk wrote:
>>> [root at scarbo9 ~]# yum update kernel
>> try running a yum update or a : yum update kernel e2fsprogs,
>> so they both get updated in the same transaction.
>
> Did that - to no avail. Shouldn't package dependencies take care for
> them to update in the same transaction?

>> this might be whats causing the kernel package to not get updated..
>
> Disabled all yum plugins to make sure, didn't help.
>
> Andreas

I can only think of 2 things ...

The mirror that you are pointed to is not updated.  Are you pointing to
your own mirror or the default ones.

This is normally caused when someone has the 5.0 BASE repo and the 5.1
updates repo.  That _WILL_NOT_WORK_ .... as both base and updates are
different for 5.0 and 5.1.

You have to point to /5.1/os/ AND /5.1/updates/   ...   can not point to
/5.0/os and /5.1/updates/ (5.1 as a whole is a tree ... it can not be
mixed and matched with 5.0.)

If that is NOT the problem (ie, you are using mirrors from our
"mirrorlist=" list or mirror.centos.org as your "baseurl=" in
CentOS-Base.repo) then do:

yum clean all

yum -d3 upgrade kernel

That should give you some more detail about the error.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes