[CentOS] Trackerless torrents

Fri Dec 21 21:56:26 UTC 2007
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 13:03 -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> On Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:30 PM -0500 "William L. Maltby"
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >> iptables -A OUTPUT -d torrent.centos.org -p tcp --dport 6969 -j DROP
> >
> > Thanks Kenneth. IIRC, I can use the IP to avoid DNS resolution and do it
> > faster? Yep just did "man ..." and see that.
>
> The iptables command stores the resolved IP in the kernel. So the DNS
> lookup is done once when you install the rule, not each time a packet is
> passed through the rule.
>
> If you read the rules back out with "iptables -L -n" or iptables-save,
> you'll see the raw IP.

Yeah. As normal, *after* I posted I remembered that from some very early
and brief work with it (or was it ipchains?). I also remembered how to
delete a specific rule (or was that in ipchains too?).

Anyway, I got the needed pointers. After I do some personal stuff this
weekend, I plan to hit it.

--
Bill