[CentOS] Natulius CD burner does not accept my 700Mb CD-R disks

Wed Dec 26 03:37:39 UTC 2007
Scott Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Scott Ehrlich wrote:

>>> USB. I thought I mentioned that....

>>> Yeah if those SCSI terminators get a little dirty ;)
>>>
>>> Using 2.0 cables. Of course the server is an old Compaq SFF that only
>>> supports USB 1.1
>>
>> What do the logs say about any possible USB errors? How about tail -f
>> path_to_log_file and unplugged/replugging to see what the active messages
>> are?
>>
> Dec 25 20:46:02 onlo kernel: usb 1-2: reset full speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 2
> Dec 25 20:46:02 onlo kernel: usb 1-2: reset full speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 2
> Dec 25 20:46:03 onlo kernel: sr 0:0:0:0: scsi: Device offlined - not ready
> after error recovery
> Dec 25 20:46:03 onlo kernel: sr 0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
> Dec 25 21:53:01 onlo kernel: sr 0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device
>
> I terminated k3b at this point and unplugged and plugged in the usb cable to
> the drive:
>
> Dec 25 21:54:07 onlo kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2
> Dec 25 21:54:28 onlo kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using
> uhci_hcd and address 3
> Dec 25 21:54:28 onlo kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> Dec 25 21:54:32 onlo kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
> devices
> Dec 25 21:54:37 onlo kernel: Vendor: HP Model: CD-Writer+ 8200f Rev: 1.0A
> Dec 25 21:54:37 onlo kernel: Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 00
> Dec 25 21:54:37 onlo kernel: sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw
> xa/form2 cdda tray
> Dec 25 21:54:37 onlo kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 5

k3b uses cdrecord among other utilities - it is simply a graphical
front-end.

Have you tried the command-line tools instead?

I have a simple script that collects files, creates an ISO, then burns the
ISO to disk.  No GUI (k3b) involved.

mkisofs -o /home/scott/files.iso -R -J -T files/
cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom -multi /home/scott/files.iso
eject

What happens if you try the above?   Will it be k3b?  The commands it
uses?  The hardware?

What happens if you simply insert a writable CD, open it in the window
manager, drag a file to the disk, and try to burn that file to disk?

Create your own ISO from the above then try to have the window manager
burn it directly to disk.

Let us know.

Scott