[CentOS] Firewall frustration

Mon Dec 31 17:21:34 UTC 2007

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 09:33 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Peter Farrell wrote:
>>
>>> "Problem is I want a REAL router/firewall with little work."
>>>
>>> Run a smoothwall installtion and replace your CentOS install.
>>>
>>> http://www.smoothwall.org/
>>>

>> well first challenge is my unit's USB ethernet dongles. Centos uses the
>> RTL 8150 driver for them. Smoothwall only lists the RTL 8129, 8139, and
>> 8169...
>>

> I've used this at home for years. I don't know if it's suitable, but it
> seems *very* flexible. Allows for NAT or not, has typical zones,
> reporting, IPTables modification support, ...
>
>    http://www.ipcop.org/
>
> Has run/tested successfully on various configurations here. It's another
> "ditch your CentOS" solution though. But you can put it on any old junk
> laying around and it'ss probably work. Using cable modem in the boonies,
> 486DX/66 gives about 450KB/sec, Pentium 200MHz pci gives <= 700MB/sec -
> both from decent sites. Tested using both ISA and PCI bus adapters
> through both twisted pair and thin coax.
As I thought about things this morning, trying to put up smoothwall, I
realized that one of my goals is to have a tool to turn a Centos system
that I am using for foo, into a firewall for bar for a day.  I have
Astaro for my serious firewall needs (see later post), but need
something 'portable'.  You see I have these plans with some small itx
systems....