[CentOS] unstable kernel after update to CentOS 4.5

Mon Dec 10 15:21:35 UTC 2007
Benjamin Franz <snowhare at nihongo.org>

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote on Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:25:04 +0100:
>
>> smartctl -t short /dev/hda  (perform short test)
>> smartctl -l selftest /dev/hda  (check SMART selftest log)
>
> Nicolas, thanks for the suggestion. The short test completed without any
> error and all smart values shown with smartctl -a are way over the
> threshold, most in the 250+ area.
>
> What I'm wondering about is the LifeTime(hours) given in the selftest log.
> Is this the remaining lifetime? That's still good for two years.

That would be number of hours the drive has _already_ been running. IOW,
it is telling you that the drive has been on for about two years.

The entry that usually tells you if you are developing problems are
Reallocated_Sector_Ct. If that is in the hundreds (or even in the multiple
dozens), you are probably looking at a drive that is going to fail in the
near future.

Offline_Uncorrectable and Current_Pending_Sector are other ones you don't
want to see values much above '0' on.

--
Benjamin Franz

"Backups are good."