[CentOS] Re: Kernel panic kickstarting to CentOS 4

Cynthia Kiser cnk at caltech.edu
Tue Feb 6 00:14:48 UTC 2007

Quoting Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>:
> Cynthia Kiser spake the following on 2/5/2007 3:27 PM:
> >> Just burned one. Off to give it a try.
> >
> > Hmmmmm Writing this from the 4.4 live CD. So that works great. OK back
> > to the office to burn a 4.4 install CD.
> AFAIR the install cd only has a uniprocessor kernel, as only one processor is
> needed for an install. You might be hitting some kernel flaw in the install
> cd's boot kernel.

Actually I shouldn't have emailed so soon. For the first boot from the
live CD I tried the specified failsafe options suggested in the
prompt: linux nonet simplex acpi=off That booted all the way to a GUI
- and had network support(!?). For my next attempt I just hit return
and it hung. I couldn't find any virtual terminals with error
messages, but that might be me not knowing the right key
combination. Trying to boot with only acpi=off gets me much of the way
- until the live CD tries to run X; then I get a very nice box
bouncing around my screen saying "video mode not supported". The
monitor is kind of crappy and obscure, so that is disappointing, but
not a huge deal - and I think these instructions on the Scientific
Linux site might let me fix that problem.
	http://linux.web.psi.ch/livecd/trouble.html

Burning the disk 1 of 4 iso for CentOS 4.4 and we'll see what that
does.