[CentOS] qmail on CentOS 4.4

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:08:45 UTC 2007

Feizhou wrote:

>>> procmail is a resource hog. If you do not have to use it, do not. If
>>> you need some filtering, maildrop may be a better choice.
>>
>> Sendmail + MimeDefang is probably the most efficient combination but
>> spamassassin is the real resource hog wherever it runs.
>>

> Neither mimedefang nor spamassassin sort mail to different folders as
> far as I know or I have missed something?

Sendmail continues to deliver with procmail.  The difference when using
mimedefang is that you have already rejected viruses and spam with high
enough scores to reject early in the smtp conversation, and
spamassassion only needs to run once on messages with multiple
recipients.  You can add a header with the spamassassin score, then
filter/sort on that in procmail (or pop/imap agents) so users can have
different handling of the same message.  The mimedefang operations are
controlled by a small  snippet of perl so it is easy to customize.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com