[CentOS] imap pop3 servers -- SOLVED

Walt Reed wreed at vinq.com
Tue Feb 6 14:53:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 07:40:10AM -0600, Les Mikesell said:
> Doc Schneider wrote:
> >
> >I guess I should have posted back to the list that I did end up using
> >Dovecot and also configured and am using SMTP AUTH. The users who are on
> >this new server used to use pop before SMTP but that ended up being a
> >real pain to get going for Dovecot.
> >
> >I just have a couple issues or could be non-issues to work out trying to
> >get Sendmails SMTP AUTH to pass off spam to SpamAssassin without
> >generating a authenication failure. Although it does appear to be
> >handing off the spam to SA. At least, I'm seeing these errors in the
> >maillog but also am seeing spam being caught. So like I said it could be
> >a non-issue.
> >
> >FWIW: I'm using the Dovecot that comes packaged with CentOS 4.4 64 bit.
>
> You might want to look at http://www.mimedefang.com.  It is an email
> scanner that runs as a sendmail milter and uses your choice of spam and
> virus scanning tools.  As a milter, it can tell if sendmail's connection
> was authenticated or used ssl, plus it can reject as a result of the
> scan during the smtp conversation.

Or you can look at a modern MTA such as Exim, which also has built-in
support for Spamassassin, ClamAV, can easily do smtp auth, and supports
pretty much any kind of back-end or database you can come up with...
It's very well supported via the active mailing list / WIKI. We have
a custom setup that allows users to choose just how much spam filtering
they want to do, have custom white / black lists, greylisting, etc.,
etc. Special case routing / rewriting, and what not is easy once you
understand the basic concepts.

While I used to use sendmail years ago, I can't imagine trying to
configure it to do what we are doing today with Exim. The sendmail
configuration is way too obtuse.

Unfortunately, the Exim RPMS in Centos are very old, but you can
download current RPMS (of Exim and Dovcot) via atrpms.net (Dag's dovcot
is too old too.)

Of course building it yourself isn't all that hard either, and if you
run dedicated, moderate to high volume mail servers, I would recommend
it.