[CentOS] Increasing existing partition and LVM size

Alfred von Campe alfred at 110.net
Tue Feb 6 20:10:09 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 13:03, Theo Band wrote:

> I would just create an additional partition /dev/sda3 with the free
> space. This partition can be added to the PVS:

Of course, why didn't I think of that.

> pvcreate /dev/sda3
> vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sda3
> lvextend -L20G /dev/VolGroup00/diskname
> resize2fs      /dev/VolGroup00/diskname 20G

Thanks for the recipe; this worked perfectly.

> If booted from a rescue disk,
> use lvscan to find the LVM group.

Since the VG contained the root file system, I had to boot from a
rescue disk (the CentOS 4.4 LiveCD ISO in my case) in order to do the
resize2fs.  But everything worked flawlessly.

Thanks again, I am up and running with the new, bigger filesystem.
Now all I have left to fix is the annoying slow clock issue with
running a Linux VM on a Windows host.  All the documented workaround
for this issue have not helped so far...

Alfred