[CentOS] Problems loading CentOS 4.4 on ASUS M2N-MX mobo

Ed Burgstaler

edb at wilson.ca
Tue Feb 6 21:39:23 UTC 2007

I have a brand new ASUS MB model M2N-MX which is giving me issues when
installing Centos 4.4 64 bit
I initially had problems with finding the SATA drives but I resolved that
issue by simply selecting the NVIDIA SATA (sata_nv)driver from the list of
drivers during the initial install.
The install seemed to go fine after that as the installer uses the Generic
VESA video driver during the install, however, upon the restart after the
install, the server then completely locks up. I can only assume it is at the
point of loading the video driver although I really don't know what CentOS
loads after the "acivating local loopback" section, because that is where it
freezes on the screen.

I'm thinking that the install to the SATA drive went well since it boots
from the drive though it doesn't exactly boot completely.

I have tried reinstalling several times already with the same negative
results.

Would appreciate any help that someone could offer in getting this working
with this new MB.

Here are the specs of the MB:

-Key Specifications: NC-AS-M2N-MX Form Factor: uATX, 9.6" x 8.8"
CPU
- Support AMD Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64/ Sempron

Chipset
- NVIDIA nForce430/GeForce6100

Front Side Bus
- 2000 / 1600 MT/s

Memory
- Dual channel memory architecture
- 4 x 240-pin DIMM, support max. 4GB DDR2 800/667/533 ECC and
non-ECC,un-buffered memory
VGA
- Integrated GeForce 6100 GPU
- High Definition Video Processing with max. resolutions to 1920 x 1440

Expansion Slots
- 1 x PCI Express x16
- 1 x PCI Express x1
- 2 x PCI

Storage/RAID
- NVIDIA MCP61P
- 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
- *4 x Serial ATA 3Gb/s with RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, RAID 5 & JBOD
NVIDIA MediaShield? RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD span cross Serial ATA
drives
LAN
- NVIDIA MCP61P built-in Gigabit MAC with external Attansic PHY

Audio
- ADI AD1986A High Difinition Audio 5.1channel CODEC
- Support Jack-Sensing and S/PDIF out interface

USB
- 10 USB2.0/1.1 ports

Manageability
- WfM 2.0, DMI 2.0, WOL by PME, WOR, PXE, Chassis Intrusion

BIOS
- 4Mb Flash ROM, Award BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.3, ACPI 2.0
Overclocking Features
- SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection) from 200MHz to 230MHz at 1MHz
- increment
- Adjustable Voltage :
- *core: @ 0.025V stepping
- *chipset: 2- stepping
- *ddr: 4- stepping
- Overclocking Protection:
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

Special Features
- ASUS Q-Fan
- ASUS My Logo 2
- ASUS CrashFreeBIOS2
- ASUS EZ Flash 2
Back Panel I/O Ports
- 4 x USB 2.0 ports - 1 x RJ45
- 1 x COM1 - 1 x PS/2 Mouse
- 1 x 5.1 channel Audio I/O - 1 x PS/2 Keyboard

Internal I/O Connectors
- 3 x USB 2.0 connector supports additional 4 USB 2.0 ports
- 1 x S/PDIF output connector
- High Definition Front panel audio connector
- 4-pin CPU Fan / 2*Chassis Fan connectors
- Chassis Intrusion connector
- CD audio-in connector
- 24-pin ATX power connector
- 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector

Accessories
- 1 x Serial ATA cables - 1 x FDD cable
- 1 x SATA power cable - 1 x I/O Shield
- 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 cable - User's manual