[CentOS] CentOS 3 vs. CentOS 4 Memory Utilization

hkclark at gmail.com hkclark at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 09:16:12 UTC 2007

> It should not be a problem as lots of your memory used is buffers and
> cache.
>
> CentOS-3 is going to be supported for a while yet (EOL is scheduled for
> Oct 31, 2010), so if it is working perfectly and doing what they want,
> they may want to keep it though.
>
> If they upgrade or don't, the memory should be OK either way .

Hi Johnny,

Good info -- thanks.  They have a small app they want to add that
requires a newer version of Perl than 5.8.0 that comes with CentOS 3.
Rather than getting into a non-RPM version of Perl, we were thinking
going to CentOS 4 would be easier and cleaner.

In your experience, would you say that my "quick & dirty" measurement
of CentOS 4 needing 10-25 MB more memory than CentOS 3 (again, for a
non-X box with a minimal install) is accurate (at least in approximate
terms)?  Or is there something I'm not taking into account -- e.g,
some of the libraries and/or other "basic server apps" such as apache
with PHP or MySQL will make that number much higher?  Although this
box is doing OK on memory now, I would hate to kill their possible
expansion plans just because we did an upgrade and it sucked up way
more memory than we though.

Again, thanks for all the great things you and the CentOS team are doing!

Regards,
KC