[CentOS] CentOS 3 vs. CentOS 4 Memory Utilization

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Fri Feb 9 12:37:02 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Some of our CentOS machines have 512mb (they are donated machines and we
> can't MAKE them have more memory).  They work OK and serve between 1600
> GB and 3200 GB per month via rsync and httpd, so certainly a web server
> (if java is not involved :P) CAN work OK with 512mb RAM.  1 GB would be
> MUCH better though.

And if you're working with such a limited server, be sure to tune down
your httpd binary:

a) throw out all modules from the configuration that you do not need
   (and there are normally only a few modules which are really needed in
   day to day use)

b) watch your server while it is running and try to find a working
   balance for you regarding max-clients (too few and you'll lock people
   out, too many and your system will start swapping and be generally
   unresponsive to http requests).

Ralph
--
Ralph Angenendt......ra at br-online.de | .."Text processing has made it possible
Bayerischer Rundfunk...80300 München | ....to right-justify any idea, even one