[CentOS] alternative to rocks cluster

Tom Brown

tom at ng23.net
Fri Feb 9 16:50:29 UTC 2007

Hi

I am after a solution where i can easily kickstart many, read hundreds,
of boxes in a short time frame. Perhaps the way i install software is to
actually re-kix the box with a new software baseline - that type of idea.

I have looked at rocks and it looks good but it seems a little rigid in
that i need to be able to determine certain things like hostname etc as
in our env hostname represents box location etc.

Are there any tools out there that do things as 'easily' as rocks but
with more customization in them? Rocks seems to be based on beowulf type
clusters where our setup is more an application type affair where
communication it between the apps and not through the master box.

thanks for any pointers