[CentOS] alternative to rocks cluster

Steven Lee slee at cs.cornell.edu
Fri Feb 9 17:20:28 UTC 2007

Tom,

FYI, If you are handy with SQL, you can customize a lot of things in
ROCKS cluster, including node names.  Instead of using their packaged
tools to deploy the nodes, you'd just have to pre-populate the SQL
database with the correct information.  Unfortunately, the
documentation is very poor so you need to be willing and able to look
into the code and database schema to see how things work.  I've
deployed ROCKS cluster with additional file servers (in addition to
the front-end), customized node names, and two cluster private
networks (instead of just one) connecting all nodes for more data-
intensive computing applications.  One thing I have NOT figured out
is the limitation of having one front-end, which is a single source
of failure for accessing the cluster.

Steven