[CentOS] SATA controller Dell Optiplex 745

Erick Perez eaperezh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 06:42:01 UTC 2007

On an intel d945gnt board. Centos 4.4 with ICH8 works correctly,
because my board let me setup the SATA as Legacy (E)IDE (tested), and
also as SATA UHCI (tested). Note that im talking about UHCI and *not*
AHCI.

On 2/9/07, kuilin lu <lukuilin at gmail.com> wrote:
> as far as to CentOS 4.4, a work-around solution for Optiplex 745  ICH8
> controller is to add "all-generic-ide" as a kernel parameter during
> installation. The sata disk is recognised as "/dev/hda" ,  but the
> disk speed is actually normal,  as  the followings:
>
> hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing cached reads:   4776 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2388.36 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  182 MB in  3.02 seconds =  60.29 MB/sec
>

> please dont't forget to add "all-generic-ide" again in grub.conf at
> the first boot.
>
> sles 10 (2.6.16.21-0.8-smp) works well on Optiplex 745. So I think a
> final solution is using RHEL 5 that we should be waiting at this
> moment.
>
> I ask everyone's pardon for my poor english.

Erick Perez
Panama Sistemas
Integradores de Telefonia IP y Soluciones Para Centros de Datos
Panama, Republica de Panama
Cel Panama. +(507) 6694-4780