[CentOS] reboot long uptimes?

chrism at imntv.com chrism at imntv.com
Tue Feb 13 12:58:12 UTC 2007

D Ivago wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if I should reboot some servers that are running
> over 180 days?
>
> They are still stable and have no problems, also top shows no zombie
> processes or  such, but maybe it's better for the hardware (like ext3
> disk checks f.e.) to reboot  every six months...
>
> btw  this uptime really confirms me how stable Centos 4.x really is
> and so  I wonder how long some people's uptimes on the list are ;)

I have some Linux machines that have been up 1-2 years.  It certainly
wouldn't hurt anything if you reboot them, but hardly seems necessary if
they're stable and patched to current levels.  I had a RedHat 7.3 box
that was up for several years.  It finally rebooted when there was some
maintenance in that wing of the datacenter that required them to
interrupt power for a few minutes.

Cheers,