[CentOS] CentOS 4 CPAN problem

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 23:56:50 UTC 2007

On 2/13/07, FTN <ftnx at ksbase.com> wrote:
> After upgrading CPAN, I get the following:
> undefined subroutine &Compress::Zlib::gzopen called at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5/CPAN/Tarzip.pm line 102.
>

> "gzopen" seems to refer to a PHP command. Am I missing a module, or have I hit
> a bug?

CPAN on rpm based machines is EVIL in so many ways it's not even funny.

To start, nothing installed via cpan identifies itself to the rpm
database, so anything you install which depends on a perl (CPAN)
module will fail because of missing dependencies. If you install
something via CPAN and upgrade the perl rpm for some reason (a perl
upgrade is released which translates regex into plain understandable
english perhaps) it's entirely possible that it will overwrite things
installed via cpan. This will cause you headaches down the road. In
addition, if a cpan module gets overly greedy with its dependency
build, you can end up with a broken or otherwise non-working perl
install.

It's much better to use the perl modules in the rpmforge and c.k.o
repositories, or cpan2rpm, or cpanflute. These will not interfere in
such a manner.

</soap box>

George Orwell