[CentOS] php version 4.4 / ez publish

Wed Feb 14 10:10:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 23:17 -0800, gillbates wrote:
> I have a silly question... why not install from source?
>
> http://www.php.net/downloads.php
>
> PHP 4.4.4

Installing items from source is bad on an RPM based system ... it
requires that you personally track and update that install forever.  If
one is willing and able to do that, great.  If not, not so great.

Also, in this case, there are MANY RPMS that require php to be installed
and items installed from source do not put an entry into the RPM
database to inform RPM that you have php (in this case) installed.
Therefore any other package that requires the php RPM will not install,
as the RPM database does not show it installed.

If these people want their product used by people in the enterprise, it
surely should work on RHEL ... RHEL + Fedora + CentOS = ~55% of all
Linux internet servers on the Dec 2005 netcraft survey (the last one
they published showing linux versions).

The best bet is to fix the app that requires php 4.4 or to find/build an
RPM for php-4.4.

That should be possible ... though maybe also hard.