[CentOS] Event scheduling

mike.redan at bell.ca mike.redan at bell.ca
Fri Feb 16 16:00:48 UTC 2007

> Sure I understand that, but If I wanted it to be within 15
> seconds response, I'd have to check 4times x 60 seconds x 60
> minutes x 24 hours per day.  Kind of a waste for a file that
> may or may not be transmitted each day.
>
> I was thinking that perhaps there was something that would
> monitor the SYSLOG and could trigger jobs (scripts) based on
> a syslog entry.

You could use syslog-ng, and some verbose logging on your FTP daemon.
Setup a filter to either trigger based on a file transfer, or based on a
specific file name. based on that filter, syslog-ng can launch a
program, or send data to a pipe that could be picked up by a simple
daemon...

The syslog-ng FAQ has some good examples.

Mike