[CentOS] Probelm with some smtp MTAs

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 18:55:04 UTC 2007

On 16/02/07, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:
> I am getting large numbers of these types of messages in my maillog files:
>
> somehost.hotmail.com [65.54.246.97] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN
> during connection to MTA
>
> on both of our external machines beginning on the same date.  These hosts
> sit on different netblocks and on both machines the sendmail.cf files date
> from  Jan 09, 2007.
>
> The last successfull connection from any hotmail acocunt was on Jan 15 at
> 13:17:29.  The first failure was recorded on Jan 15 at 18:36:46.
> Does anybody have any idea what is going on?  We are now getting reports
> that hotmail users are getting a delayed transmission warning and then a
> failure message.  Is this a sender's issue or our local configuration
> issue?
>
> ANY help regarding this matter would be most appreciated. If you feel that
> sendmail related items should not be discussed on the list then please
> contact me privately.

No idea, I thought the "did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN" error was
largely due to zombied hosts injecting messages without waiting for
the proper confirmation during the SMTP handshake, something we
typically use GreetPause to work around.

Have you tried setting up a Hotmail test account and sending a mail to
a known good account in your control to see if you receive any sort of
bounce?

Will.