[CentOS] RPM rebuild, cross compiling from x86 to x86_64

Fri Feb 16 21:49:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 16:53 +0100, Martin Hamant wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to recompile some RPMs (my own) for x86_64 arch from my i386
> compatible build host (because of hardware restriction/funds).Is anyone
> ever done this ? After a google search, it seems not so easy... i just
> found this: http://www.speedblue.org/cross_compilation/ but haven't
> tried it yet (i would have to convert these to RPM first).
>
> How is it done for Centos SRPMS rebuilds ? is it a different
> hardware for each target arch ?

This will not be easy to do.

You can fairly easily build a cross compiler ... HOWEVER

You are also going to need to install packages that are BuildRequires
for the packages that you want to build (so you can compile against
them) ... and the xxxxxxx-devel.x86_64 files (the ones with the headers)
are going to all REQUIRE the xxxxxxx.x86_64 packages too.

It is almost impossible to do this without installing the x86_64
distro ... and that requires an x86_64 capable processor.

You might be able to emulate it (maybe qemu), but by the time you do
that it would have been cheaper and easier to have spent $300.00 and
obtained a cheap machine to do it on.