[CentOS] Uninstalling GAG Boot Manager

Benjamin Sher

delphi123 at zebra.net
Tue Feb 20 05:02:56 UTC 2007

Dear friends:

New to Centos,  DVD version 4.4. Fabulous distro, rich in features,
applications, very stable and robust.

My first install failed to boot up (after rebooting, switching in Bios from
CD/DVD to hard drive. This was probably because I chose to install the Grub
boot loader in MBR. I got the error message:

GRUB, Stage 2

But it never loaded up. Nothing happened.

So, I did a fresh install of Centos. This time I chose the first partition on
hda (hda1). Rebooted, switched from CD/DVD to hard drive. When the computer
started booting up, it immediately brought up the GAG Boot Manager, which I
had used earlier to dual boot Linux and Windows. The floppy drive was empty
and the Bios was definitely turned to hard drive. I had earlier saved my GAG
settings both to the floppy and the hard drive. That explains why it's still
on my hard drive. At any rate, I used GAG to add Centos to the operating
systems. I clicked on Centos and this booted up Centos successfully (after
first seeing the lovely Centso blue boot-up screen.

I no longer need GAG and would like very much to get rid of it and boot up
Centos normally. How do I do that, please?

Here is the URL for GAG:

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

I downloaded GAG originally in Windows and installed it on a floppy, then
saved the settings to the floppy and then to the hard drive. I might add that
GAG worked fine earlier. The problem is that I can't seem to bring up the GAG
screen that allows you to install or uninstall it. I click on R for Restore
but I never see the install/uninstall screen.

I'd very much appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Benjamin

P. S. One funny thing: I am sending this letter from Kmail in Centos. I know
for a fact that I am supposed to use login authentication to send mail. I had
configured my email program, including Kmail, many times in the past and it
always worked fine. But this time, the only way I could send my mail was to
NOT use login or any kind of authentication. Does this make sense? Yet, the
mail failed to go out with authentication but was sent successfully WITHOUT
authentication. Is this some sort of bug or is this normal?

I'd appreciate your help. Thank you all so much.

Benjamin