[CentOS] Re: hard disk move to another server

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Feb 20 19:25:05 UTC 2007

dan1 spake the following on 2/20/2007 11:00 AM:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I am looking for a way to move a CentOS 4 installed production hard disk
> to another system (which has another hardware).
> The first has an nvidia sata controller (sata_nv), but the second has a
> via sata (sata_via).
> For all the rest of the hardware it can upgrade well I know, but if the
> sata driver is different, then the system doesn't boot because the
> proper driver is not included in the initrd file (grub still boots OK).
>
> Here is the error message:
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> Red Hat nash version 4.2.1.8 starting
> mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> mount: error 2 mounting none
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> Does anyone know how I could upgrade easily this initrd file to contain
> the proper driver, and even from another partition?
> Would it be possible to keep an old config-xx file and do an rpm upgrade
> which would automatically recompile a proper initrd-xx file for that new
> system?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Daniel
You could boot from a rescue disk, chroot to /mnt/sysimage, make sure that the
proper driver shows in an lsmod, and re-install the current kernel rpm. That
should redo the initrd. Somewhat easier than remembering the proper initrd
commands.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and