[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 on Dell PE 6400 - not rebooting ...

Joe Kazura joe.kazura at unh.edu
Sun Feb 25 12:55:22 UTC 2007

ROFL ...

BTW - RHEL 4 CD's will boot this 6400 and I can go through all of the
installations screens (yes - in gui mode, see note below) and
regardless of HOW the disks are partitioned AND with or with out
logical volumes.  The system CHOKES big time either right after
formatting the last of /var or immediately following - any logs that
would normally be created are non-existent or useless due to the
timing of the CHOKING.

CHOKES, CHOKED, CHOKING:
    = system completely unresponsive, gui cursor has stopped
'spinning', caps lock non-functional, Ctrl-Alt-Del non-functional.
Pressing and holding the POWER BUTTON until a forced re-boot occurs
is the ONLY way I've been able to get the system back.

NOTE - GUI: I've tried text install and gui - it matters not, other
than I get visual feedback with the gui - the logs being useless.

So does anyone have any ideas for solving my Dell issue?

Thanks - Joe Kazura