[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 smp on Dual Quad Core Xeon

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Mon Feb 26 16:47:06 UTC 2007

Tru Huynh wrote:
> [tru at quadcore ~]$ uname -a
> Linux quadcore 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 6 06:28:26 CDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> [tru at quadcore ~]$ grep -A4 processor /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0

Just take care with more than 8 CPUs, because you need the largesmp
kernel then. Worked on a 8 socket, 16 CPU system where that was a pain
due to binary kernel modules.

Now those machines could be 32 CPU systems... and you could add 8
sockets more. 64 CPUs on Intel platform with commodity hardware. Not
that many years ago that would have been utopia :)

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.