[CentOS] USB flash drive stopped working properly....

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 27 00:03:44 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> I left out part of this (that I did after sending the message).
>
> Apparently the problem isn't so much the flash drive as what happens
> when the icon on the gnome desktop doesn't go away - it refuses to be
> removed.
>
> I can manually mount the flash drive to its proper mount point, and
> access it through the icon, but when I unmount it, the icon doesn't go
> away, and after that, until/unless I manually remount the drive again,
> the icon doesn't work (and won't unmount - duh!).
>
> Now I'm not sure if this is a gnome issue or a CentOS issue.  If I log
> out and log back in, the icon still doesn't go away (implicating the
> OS), but when I reboot, all is well again, for a while....
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS: John, the drive was not actually mounted when this happened, so a dd
> would not work, either - it didn't even matter if the drive was plugged
> in or not - the icon was there and unusable/misbehavin'.

yes, well, the finger's pointing in an entirely different direction
now:-) Right at the man with the nose in the corner of the garden.

Do you have a problem in KDE?
If you have a problem in KDE, does this command (as root) help?
chmod -x /usr/bin/autorun

(don't forget chmod +x /usr/bin/autorun later)

Do you have a problem in runlevel 3, with no GUI at all.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait