[CentOS] Swap Considerations

Mike McCarty

Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 27 00:05:18 UTC 2007

I am considering installing CentOS 4.4, and am interested in
how best to set up. I have been using FC2 and helping administer
a Debian machine for a few years, but do not consider myself a
Linux guru.

My current set up uses a /swap partition which is 2x my memory
size

mem = 256 MB

$ sudo /sbin/fdisk -l
/dev/hda6           76506       77545      524128+  82  Linux swap

I'm interested in the use of a file for swap, as I hear that there
is now no speed penalty for that. I use ext3 for my partitions.

I'm also interested in whether it be reasonable/desirable to
make /home, /tmp, and /var be on a separate partition. I have heard
arguments on both sides, some claiming that with ext3 the system
won't become unbootable because of /tmp filling up.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.