[CentOS] Kickstart with all the latest updates?

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 15:14:44 UTC 2007

> No, it's not really for security reasons.  It's for performance (or
> efficiency).  Doing the "yum -y update" in the %post adds
> considerable time to the total install.  I'm working on creating a
> CentOS VM to be used here at work, and while I'm still in the testing
> phase, I'd like to reduce the turnaround time.  Also, I think I can
> reduce the VM footprint if I install the final version of all the
> RPMS initially, instead of installing 4.4 first and then all the
> updates.

Without re-rolling the install tree, there isn't much way to
accomplish building the updates into the installer. You would have to
do the install via %post, though with a local repository this
shouldn't be overly long.

The alternative (which is much more work) would be to check out the
/build directory on the mirrors and consider building new install
media with the updates rolled in. Personally this isn't really worth
the effort to me.

George Orwell