[CentOS] Swap Considerations

Lanny Marcus centos at computer2.com
Wed Feb 28 15:59:24 UTC 2007

Message: 24
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:39:47 -0600
From: Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Swap Considerations

>Of course. But I'm a laid-off engineer. If you like, I'd gladly take
>donations for more RAM. In the meantime, this machine remains 256M.

Mike: Sorry you are unemployed! If you are an IEEE member, you can look
on the web site for jobs. If not, look on monster(s).com  Suggest when
you are not looking for a job, you download the PDF files for the RHEL
manuals, from the CentOS web site, at this URL:
http://www.centos.org/docs/4/
and look through them. They will answer many of your questions and give
you much  guidance! I never worked with UNIX when I was employed, and
there is a "learning curve", but, it's well worth it.

My Linux partitions on this home desktop box (dual boot with Win XP)
look something like this:
swap is  1020 MB (512 MB of RAM)
/opt is vfat 1028 MB (to transfer data between Win XP and Linux safely)
/boot is ext3 102 MB
/home is ext3 4001 MB
/tmp  is ext3 1028 MB
/ is ext3 4997 MB

I believe you should backup the data in /home
(tar -cvf backup.tar /home/mike) for example) and then burn that to a CD
and then do a "clean" install of CentOS 4.4 and then restore your data
and browser and e-mail.

I believe that unless the box you install to has unsupported HW, it is
going to work for you, out of the box,  without any problems.

It takes me awhile to restore to Evolution (my e-mail client) and then a
few minutes to restore my Bookmarks and Cookies to Firefox and I'm ready
to go.

CentOS is a very good, solid, distribution, like the upstream distro. It
is not perfect, but it is much more solid and stable and secure than
many distros and I doubt that I will stray from CentOS again. HTH, Lanny