[CentOS] Re: Add RAID after install in one disk

CM cristim at mail.multinet.ro
Wed Feb 28 19:05:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:30:08 -0800
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> CM spake the following on 2/28/2007 5:40 AM:
> >> IIRC, you also have to do some special magic with the grub config
> >to  > make the machine boot nicely even if you have to reboot with
> >one drive >
> >> down. Unfortunately, it's been a while since last time I did this,
> >so > I  can't remember.
> >>
> >> --
> >>   Haakon Gjersvik Eriksen     --                  Basefarm AS
> >
> > Presuming sda first HDD, sdb second HDD, first partition (0)  is
> > /boot
> >
> > grub
> > device (hd1) /dev/sdb
> > root (hd1,0)
> > setup (hd1)
> >
> > CM
> >
> I'm confused. Wouldn't you want "root (hd0,0)"
> because if the first drive fails, the second drive will become sda
> after boot.
You already have the grub configured on sda (original primary boot
device) or you can't boot.
The ideea is to configure grub on sdb - or the secondary hdd -  after
you create the raid matrix and before anything bad happens so if the
Fail event happens on the sda (original primary boot device)  you will
boot for sure with the sdb (original secondary boot device)  moved in
place of sda.
CM

believed to be clean.