[CentOS] Good Instructions for Shadow Copy

Scott Heisler

scott.heisler at huntleighusa.com
Wed Feb 28 21:32:43 UTC 2007

I've been playing with the LVM snapshot feature under Centos 4.4 and it
looks great!  I've read about creating a "Volume shadow Copy" feature on
Linux that is similar to the Win2k3 Shadow Copy feature.  I have several
clients who like this feature and see it as a reason to keep the MS
product.  I'd like to offer them a true alternative.

I've searched high and low on Google and the best I can find are
incomplete instructions on how to create the "Shadow Copy" feature on
samba.  Samba.org has VLM instructions but incomplete instructions for
any kind of Shadow Copy functionality.

I have the snapshop feature working great.  However, I'm looking for
exactly how to setup everything so that I can rotate the snapshots like
MS does with VSC so users can restore files and folders using Windows
XP.

Is anyone doing this already?  I would love to know more.

Thanks.
Scott