[CentOS] APM and suspend to swap

Sun Feb 4 22:32:37 UTC 2007

I have been delving into how to get this HP NC4010 to suspend.  I think
the practice of just closing the unit for 15+ min inside my backpack as
I move to the next meeting is what cooked my drive...

So it seems that Debian users have been successful with APM:
http://www.proulx.com/~bob/nc4000/ and http://www.gag.com/~bdale/nc4000/

So my Centos related questions are:

I need to turn acpi=off in the boot so I can turn on apm.  How DO I turn
on apm.

I have a large enough swap drive.  It is an LVM drive of 2Gb and I have
768Mb memory.  The example given is:

vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-1+8-686 root=/dev/hda5 ro acpi=off resume2=swap:/dev/hda1

My swap drive is:  /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 what do I do above?

and my root is /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01

There are references to compling the kernel.  Do I have to do that?  Is
that mkinitrd?

what suspend command do I use?

What do I loose giving up acpi?

thanks.  I am leaving for the RSA conference in San Fran tomorrow
morning, so I would really like to get this going...