[CentOS] Kernel panic kickstarting to CentOS 4

Mon Feb 5 21:50:26 UTC 2007
Cynthia Kiser <cnk at caltech.edu>

I have an older server I am trying to update to CentOS 4.3 but I can't
get to the installer screen because the machine kernel panics when
booted from the install CD. The error message I get is:

Kernel panic - not syncing: include/linux/smp_lock.h:25
	spin_unlock(kernel/sched.c:c035) not locked

The boot messages before this point are mainly to do with acpi
including:

acpi_ps_parse_anl
acpi_?s_one_complete
acpi_early_init
start_kernel
Kernel panic ....

At a guess, I tried starting the installer with the options:
	linux text acpi=off noprobe

I am not really clear on what part of the boot process is failing so I
tried a number of random boot options including apm=off, noapic, apic,
nomce. Nothing I tried change the error. (I also tried installing RHEL
4 but I got the same failure with less informative error reporting:
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!)

I also tried changing my BIOS options - changing the interupt mode
from APIC to PIC which, if I understand the manual correctly, seems to
be AMIBIOS's version of turning off Plug and Play. Same error.

Can anyone tell me what sort of thing is going wrong? Is the
smp_lock.h stuff for dual processors? The motherboard I have would
support 2 processors, but I only have one installed so don't see why I
am in SMP code. Is there something I can do to get CentOS 4 to
install? The only thing I can think of I haven't tried is to update
the BIOS - mostly because the instructions are not very well
translated so I am not completely sure how to use the Dual BIOS
feature to roll back if the new BIOS version creates more problems
than it solves.

Hardware:

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1762&ProductName=GA-7VRXP
CPU is a single AMD XP2100+
Disk is a normal IDE Maxtor
Memory 3 G of DDR SDRAM

I can install CentOS 3.8 on this machine just fine, but I would like
to move to CentOS 4 because that is what my beefier database machines
are running (or will when I get the rest of them upgraded).

Thanks for any help folks can give me.
--
Cynthia Kiser