[CentOS] Could not mount SATA disk as module scsi_hostadapter is not loaded, although present in modules.conf

Mon Feb 19 12:52:35 UTC 2007
Alexander Georgiev <alexander.georgiev at gmail.com>

Hi people,

I installed a via SATA controller in a CentOS release 3.8 (Final) - I
needed additional disk space. After the first boot, the kudzu service,
added the following line to /etc/modules.conf:

alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via

and I rebooted. After reboot in dmesg one can see:

scsi0 : sata_via
scsi1 : sata_via
  Vendor: ATA       Model: SAMSUNG HD080HJ   Rev: WT10
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 > sda3
 scsi : 0 hosts left

But the /dev/sda device is not present in the system. If I issue the command:

[root at bdc root]# fdisk /dev/sda

Unable to open /dev/sda

I found out that if at that point I issue the command:

[root at bdc root]# modprobe scsi_hostadapter

the /dev/sda is inserted in the system and I can access it using
fdisk. It appears to me that scsi_hostadapter is initially loaded
during boot, later unloaded - therefore the drive is missing.

Currently I patch the situation with a file /etc/rc.modules with the
following contents:

#! /bin/sh

modprobe scsi_hostadapter

However I assume that this is not the correct way to fix this. Maybe I
need additional lines in modules.conf?

Best regards,
alex