[CentOS] hard disk move to another server

Tue Feb 20 19:00:33 UTC 2007
dan1 <dan1 at edenpics.com>

Hello everyone.

I am looking for a way to move a CentOS 4 installed production hard disk to
another system (which has another hardware).
The first has an nvidia sata controller (sata_nv), but the second has a via
sata (sata_via).
For all the rest of the hardware it can upgrade well I know, but if the sata
driver is different, then the system doesn't boot because the proper driver
is not included in the initrd file (grub still boots OK).

Here is the error message:
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Red Hat nash version 4.2.1.8 starting
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed: 22

Does anyone know how I could upgrade easily this initrd file to contain the
proper driver, and even from another partition?
Would it be possible to keep an old config-xx file and do an rpm upgrade
which would automatically recompile a proper initrd-xx file for that new
system?

Thanks for any help.
Daniel