[CentOS] On PostScript

Wed Feb 28 18:26:38 UTC 2007
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I have been attempting to create a custom fax cover sheet for a hylafax
web front end called avantfax.  It requires as input an encapsulated
postscript file conaining the glyph definitions and the text to be
subsituted as strings having the form XXXX-to-variable or
XXXX-from-variable.

I have been trying to create a valid eps file using a varitiy of methods
with no great succes. However, I ahve uncovered a few bits of information
from my explorations and I wonder if someone here with greater postscript
exprience than I might help:

What am getting from printing to a file using an applewritter ppd is this:

---> snip
%%Page: 1 1
%%PageBoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
%%BeginPageSetup
%
[{
%%BeginFeature: *PageSize Letter
<</PageSize[612 792]/ImagingBBox null>>setpagedevice
%%EndFeature
} stopped cleartomark
%%EndPageSetup
gsave
[0.24 0 0 -0.24 0 792] concat
gsave
237 278 moveto
0 setgray
(Courier-iso1252) cvn findfont 50 -50 matrix scale makefont setfont
<585858582D746F2D6661782D6E756D626572>
[30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 0]
xshow
grestore grestore
showpage
%%PageTrailer

%%Trailer
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
%%Pages: 1
<---

What this tells me is that the string that I wish to use is bounded by the
<> characters and are present as a set of array indices. So 58 (hex) maps
to the 98 entry of the array and this gives the letter /X. 2D likewise
maps to 46 and this is /hyphen.  74 maps to index 116 and this is letter
/t and so on.  The problem is that the application software is looking to
replace the sting "XXXX-to-fax-number" and not
<585858582D746F2D6661782D6E756D626572>.  Is there an alternative form of
prepresentation within an eps document to display using the actual ascii
text and not use these lookups?

I have noted that when documents are created using Acrobat that I get
different commands that use ASCII text strings, but that these are broken
in arpitratry places (presumably to allow expact glyph positioning on the
image irrespective of font metrics on the target device).

What I want to have in the final .ps file is something approximating this:

--->
(Courier-iso1252) cvn findfont 50 -50 matrix scale makefont setfont
"XXXX-to-fax-number"
[30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 0]
xshow
<---

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3