[CentOS] Steps to create a mirrored CentOS system?

Mon Feb 5 04:55:30 UTC 2007
Dale <lists at ehome.net>

Les,

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am about to re-build one of my boxes with CentOS 4.4 I would like
>> to set it up as a simple mirrored system.
>>
>> The box is a 1U server and has 3 SCSI drive bays. I can use 1 drive
>> as the OS drive and the other 2 for the content (basically websites)
>> or can just use 2 drives and mirror those.
>>
>> What would you folks recommend?
>
> You'd have slightly better performance if you put / and swap on the
> first drive and make /var a RAID1 with the other two drives.  You'll
> have better fail-over protection if you use 2 drives with all
> partitions mirrored.  You'll have to decide which is more important.

Thank you for the recommendation. I really appreciate it.  My concern is
mostly for the data to be mirrored. Performance shouldn't be an issue.
But I will think about which way would be best for my situation.

One other thing, I once before tried setting up a mirrored system (was
using the gui CentOS configuration) and wasn't able to figure out the
proper steps to get the mirroring setup.

If there is a web resource on how to do this I would very much
appreciate a pointer to it.

Thanks again!

Dale