[CentOS] Re: Recommendations for Lexmark Z11 driver install?

Tue Feb 6 01:37:23 UTC 2007
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On 2/4/07, Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've "inherited" an old Lexmark Z11 and would like to plug it in to my
> CentOS 4 box as a second printer.

After some further investigation I've decided that this is a
non-starter; the lz11-V2 installer does some pretty hideous stuff,
like renaming the "gs" binary out of the way and replacing it with a
perl wrapper.  As if I would never use ghostscript for anything else?

So the alternate plan is to print from a vmware windows machine.
Trouble is I want to run vmware as a normal user, not as root, which
means vmware can't open the parallel port.  Is there anything I should
know, possibly something SElinux related, before simply putting the
vmware user into the "lp" group so that it can access the port?